After our oral and maxillofacial surgeons, Dr. R. Neil Sundheimer and Dr. David C. Ash perform your implant placement, please observe the following steps:
- Protect the surgery site and metal abutment and do your best to not spit, rinse, or touch the site the day of your visit. During the first part of recovery, eat soft foods, avoid hot liquids and keep hydrated.
- Bleeding, swelling and pain can all accompany a procedure. Apply gauze, and ice; and take pain medication as needed. (Over the counter products such as Tylenol or ibuprofen can be used in mild to moderate doses, while severe pain may require prescription medication.) If excessive bleeding or swelling occurs, please contact either of our oral surgery offices in Akron, or Canton, Ohio.
- If you are prescribed antibiotics, take them in full dose, as directed.
- If you are prescribed a rinse, use it twice daily – at morning and at night, for at least 30 seconds. Salt rinses should be used more frequently, such as four or five times a day.
- Continue to brush and floss gently around the site.
If you have any concerns about your dental implant treatment in Akron, or Canton, Ohio, reach out and contact The Institute of Jaw and Facial Surgery.